Breakfast

Breakfast Wontons

I am making breakfast for one of my bossed three days a week.  While she does pretty good with healthy lunches and dinners, breakfast just stumps her.  Other than yogurt and some fruit. she can’t wrap her brain around eating “real” food, i.e. non-diet food for breakfast.

Enter the breakfast wonton.  I love wonton  wrappers.  My store normally sells them for .99 cents.  I use them to make crab rangoon breakfast wontonslasagna wonton cups, sweet potato wontons with a spicy asian dipping sauce, and Hannah’s favorite, pork and vegetable pot stickers.

To make the cups, I spray my 12 cup muffin tin, press the wonton skins down and press to make sure the wonton in the tin, and bake at 350 for about 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.  Keep an eye on these – they can go from done to burnt in a matter of a minute (not sure how I know that – ha!)

I left them on the counter overnight, and yesterday morning transported them to my office in a plastic container – these are pretty delicate.  I made this recipe two servings, or six cups per person, however I am putting the calories for each one below.

wonton 001

Breakfast Wontons

Each cup:  51 calories, 1.7 fat, 5.3 carbs, .9 fiber and 3.9 protein

• 12 wonton skins
  • 1 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 cup of jarred roasted red pepper, chopped (about 2)
  • 1/3 cup canned black beans
  • 1 ounce cheddar cheese
  • 1 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole
  • cilantro

Bake the wonton skins as directed above.  Scramble the egg whites, red pepper and black beans.  At this point, I just put that mixture in another container, and had my cheese, guacamole and cilantro packed in my lunch bag.

When I got to work, I sprinkled the cheese on top of the egg mixture and nuked for a minute.  I divided that mixture evenly among the wonton cups, divided the guacamole evenly and topped with a cilantro leaf.

wonton 005

When I brought this plate to my boss (I made her apples instead of my strawberries), she couldn’t believe she could have “all this food” and still be on plan.  I am trying to change her conception of a healthy lifestyle vs. dieting, one breakfast at a time. Open-mouthed smile  She loved it! Open-mouthed smile  The touch of cilantro was nice too.

wonton 008

It was my last chance work out before my WI today.  I’ve been incorporating a lot more strength training this year, and I am liking it!  Pinterest to the rescue again:

upper body

This one is harder than it looks – it took me 15 minutes to do three complete sets of each superset.

Then it was on to the StairMaster:

stairmaster

Holy shizz.  First of all, I had no idea that a StairMaster actually went to 16, and second of all, level 16 for someone who is short like me, is actually running!  I did modify the above – I couldn’t do the 10, 12, 14 and 16 back to back – so in between I added another minute that was at level 2 so I could catch my breath.  So this ended up being a 30 minute workout with cool down.  Go ahead and try level 16 and let me know how you do.

insert sweaty picture

When I got back to the office, I made chili mac – you can’t see it but I have 1/2 cup of leftover pasta, 1 cup of spinach and chili and cheese.  I let the chili sit for a minute, then stir it together, the spinach gets nice and wilty.

wonton 013

You know what’s great about getting closer to spring?  It’s light outside when I leave work!  Granted, it’s dark by the time I get home, but I’ll take it.  You can even see the moon at the top of the picture. Sleeping half-moon

wonton 019

I had some leftover Italian sausage I needed to use up, so I made some pasta sauce.  I had frozen cheese ravioli in the freezer and when I looked at the serving size, it said three for 210 calories – I was going to cook five or six for myself!  But, I stuck with the serving size, and served it on a bed of baby spinach, and 1/2 cup of pasta sauce.  It was the perfect serving size all together.

wonton 023

wonton 026

Last week I talked about how Tony and I are competitive when it comes to app games on our phones.  He usually gets a high score and I beat it, and like to let him know every once in a while.

Well, Tony has dominated me in the Lingo word game – he’s up to 50 words in a row, and I’ve only gotten to 18.  It’s only a matter of time, but I guess I’ll let him gloat for now. Open-mouthed smile

Right now my kitchen smells like an Indian restaurant – I am making me and my boss chicken tikka masala for lunch. Can’t wait!

So here’s my WI this week – I didn’t get the picture quick enough, but I gained .6 this week for a two week loss of 2.8.

wonton 002
I am okay with it though.  I know I killed it on my workouts, my eating was good, I am feeling muscles I haven’t felt in a while with the strength training.  I look at it like the Biggest Loser – the first week is always big, the second week is notoriously not, but I am staying the course, because I know this is the right lifestyle for me. Open-mouthed smile

Brooke put this on her facebook page the other day – thanks for sharing it Brooke!  If this video doesn’t motivate you to move today, not sure what will.  Make it a great day!

You Might Also Like

• Carrie @ Season It Already!
    January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

Those breakfast wontons look right up my alley. And I love how you put everything over a bed of spinach. Such a great idea!

January 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I never thought I’d ever utter the words “I am almost out of spinach!” but now I get panicky when I run low – Sam’s Club has the best price – a one pound container (which is a lot) for $4!

• your prettier twin sister
    January 16, 2013 at 8:11 am

You are doing great Biz – just keep going. Love you!

January 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

You are doing great too, but for the record, I am the prettier twin! 😛

• Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life
    January 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

I would have never thought to use wontons in breakfast – gosh you are so smart!! I’ve seen that video floating around but I haven’t watched it yet – I have a feeling I’m going to need some tissues when I do!

January 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Yep, I watched it at work and got teary – I should have put a kleenex warning!

• Erica
    January 16, 2013 at 8:25 am

Wontons totally rock! They’re so versatile. Awesome that you’re making such amazing breakfasts for your boss. Jealous of the deliciousness. Glad you’ve been hitting the workouts hard.

• Jacky Hackett
    January 16, 2013 at 8:28 am

Back on butler duty today, off to give those wonton cups a try. Yummy!

• Jacky Hackett
      January 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Loved these! I had exactly 12 wontons left, ate some for breakfast and some for dinner filled with another filling. So easy, thanks!

January 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Sorry you are on butler duty again – sucks to have to take two days off this early in the year, but hopefully the little guy is feeling better by tonight. Glad they worked out for you Jacky! They stay in an air tight container for up to about 5 days – that’s as long as I’ve tried, maybe longer?

• Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats
    January 16, 2013 at 8:29 am

I have wontons in my fridge right now – great idea!

• Aimee
    January 16, 2013 at 8:37 am

I want to work with you Biz. Your boss is very lucky. Thanks for sharing the workouts. I would love a change sometimes.

January 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I loved your post today – so raw and honest, I know it wasn’t easy to write, but I am glad you did! Hugs!

• Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com
    January 16, 2013 at 8:46 am

those breakfast wontons look so yummy!

• Michelle @ Eat Move Balance
    January 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

I want to try cooking with wontons!!! I don’t know anything about them . . . are they pretty light?

I’ve been LOVING doing more strength training–feeling stronger and building muscles. I’ve been too much of a cardio junkie. Time to change things up, I think. Maybe your +.6 is muscle!!

January 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

My package says 12 wontons are a serving for 170 calories – not bad! And thanks, I’ll go with the muscle gain this week. 😀

• Renee@Mykitchenadventures
    January 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

I could go for those breakfast wontons right now! YUM!

• Shelley B
    January 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

You make food look so appealing – your boss must be thrilled with her breakfasts!

Keep up the good work with the diet. It really is a lifelong change of attitude toward eating; I think you’re on the right track!

January 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Shelley! Glad you felt happy running without even worrying about the pace – winning!

• Caron
    January 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Either you were using a tiny plate or those ravioli are huge. They sure do look good. 🙂

• Tony (Mr. Bizmoto)
      January 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

That’s what she said.

January 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Ha, don’t listen to Tony! Nope, they were big – each one fit in the palm of my hand, so no wonder only 3 were a serving!

• Errign
    January 16, 2013 at 10:40 am

I bought the ingredients to make your tikka masala but I forgot the chicken….back to the store I go!

January 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Let me know how you like it Errign! The version I made today was super spicy for some reason – must have been an extra spicy jalapeno!

• findingradiance
    January 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

You are so nice to make such a spread for your boss! Go on the strength training – woot!

I *love* ravioli, but it just has so many calories for such a tiny serving. Boo…

• marie
    January 16, 2013 at 11:12 am

Okay I never use wonton wrappers but I bet my kids would love stuffing them with breakfast or dinner foods. Or candy 🙂

January 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Put candy in them and bake it at the same time – ha! 😀

• Lisa Eirene (@LisaEirene)
    January 16, 2013 at 11:49 am

What a unique idea for breakfast! Sounds delicious.

• Kelly @ Happy Texans
    January 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm

2.5 pounds is great for two weeks plus you’re getting to eat great food and you’re working hard. Stupid scale can go up or down a few pounds day to day. Darn it!!!

I’m loving the idea of the chili over spinach. Must do this! And love the breakfast idea too. You come up with the best ideas!

January 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Kelly, I would think putting baby spinach on the bottom of any of your dishes would help with your Whole9 diet – don’t you think? Plus I like when I put hot stuff on fresh spinach, it kind of wilts but still has some body to it. I can’t do frozen spinach at all – makes me want to barf just thinking about it.

• Daniel
        April 14, 2013 at 5:00 am

Me and my husband ralley enjoyed this recipe. Its super filling and we had enough pointplus left to eat dessert. The only thing I didn’t enjoy was shaping them. Even though I followed your instructions, they still didn’t come out as cute as yours. Ohh well, my stomach couldn’t tell the difference anyway. hehehe

• Stacie @ Snaps and Bits
    January 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm

You are so creative with breakfast! I love putting everything over spinach.

• Rhonda
    January 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Those little wonton cups are a great idea, except for the barfy cilantro 😉 I eat totally boring breakfasts, so I should change it up a bit. I am about over hard boiled eggs. Just keep doing what you are doing, it is certainly making you feel better and that is a big thing in my book.

January 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Yep – there are two camps with cilantro – love or hate. As you can tell, I LOVE!

• Morgan
    January 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Did you cook the spinach at all before you put the ravioli on it, or was it raw? I think I would have a texture issue happening if it were raw – it would be like having a ravioli salad. I am kind of picky though. My husband bought me a portioned army plate once as a joke because I don’t like my foods to touch…

January 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Morgan – how the hell are you?? So glad you commented. Nope, just raw spinach, but the hot sauce and ravioli kind of wilted it when I mixed it all together – its really good that way!

• Candace
    January 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

What a great breakfast idea!

• Weighting For 50
    January 16, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hi Vat, I hope your boss knows how lucky she is to have not only a great employee, but a personal chef too! 🙂

• Veronica
    January 17, 2013 at 5:30 am

Biz you are always feeding people. You are such a blessing to so many.

• fran
    January 18, 2013 at 7:23 am

Breakfast looks delicious, people at your work should be happy to have you to get such treats.

I’ve noticed it too that it’s still light when I go home, love it.

• Exercise Apps! | My Bizzy Kitchen
    April 11, 2013 at 6:32 am

[…] off to make breakfast wontons and put together lunch.  Do you use any exercise apps?   Would love to try out […]