Soup

Tikka Masala Soup with Shrimp and Cilantro

The sun was shining on my way to work yesterday. 😀  The sun just makes me happy in general, no matter what the temperature is.  Happily we had temps in the 40’s yesterday – so weird this close to January!

And the geese were all over our parking lot at work!

It was my third and final day of the broccoli bacon bake, and I don’t think I can eat the final serving – maybe it will freeze well?   This time with leftover steak from the kabobs the other night and a tangerine from my PIL from Florida – it was so juicy and delicious!  Breakfast comes in at 10 points.

With the sun shining, I couldn’t wait to get outside at lunch.  I ended up doing a 5 minute warm up walk, 35 minute run and 5 minute cool down.  Glorious!

I couldn’t wait to get back to my desk because I had Tikka Masala Soup on the menu.  Holy shizz you guys – this was SO spicy flavorful!  I found a new blog that is right up my alley – um, its called Soup Addict!  They had a recipe for tikka masala soup with shrimp, but it had direction with raw shrimp.

I had made perfect shrimp cocktail over the weekend, but we never ended up eating it on Christmas Eve – so I adapted my recipe from her tikka masala soup using what I had on hand.

Tikka Masala Soup with Shrimp and Cilantro (makes 4, two cup servings – 147 calories, 4.4 fat, 18 carbs, 11 protein and 2 fiber – or 4 WW points)

• 1/2 pound perfect shrimp cocktail
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika if you have it)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 28 can of chopped or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup light coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (or more per your taste – I like a lot of cilantro!)
  • cracked pepper to taste

Put everything but the shrimp and cilantro into a stock pot and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.  Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.  Divide the shrimp among four bowls, divide soup over shrimp and garnish with cilantro.

This picture doesn’t do it justice.  It may seem like a super simple soup, but it is so complex in flavor and the epitome of a spicy yet flavorful soup.  This one is definitely a keeper. 😀

I didn’t really have anything planned for dinner last night since we had so many leftovers.  I ended up having a bowl of my beef and bean soup with some tortilla chips on the side – I actually think the flavors developed even more being in the fridge.

Tony and I watched about 4 episodes of Shameless last night on Demand – does anyone watch that show?  I think its on Showtime with William H. Macy.  It’s really well done.  I slept in until 9:30 this morning!  And I realized that tomorrow is my WI at WW – hopefully they are open on New Years Eve!

• 27 WW points – no Chex Mix! 😀
  • 45 minute walk/run
  • average blood sugar 143

With it almost being the new year I have plans to organize this weekend.  I need to do a deep clean of our bedroom (i.e. move the bed and vacuum under there!) and I need to purge clothes I haven’t worn in a while.  And get rid of my size 14 pants.  I wore a pair of pants yesterday to work that were a size 14 and I didn’t even have to unbutton them to go to the bathroom, I could just pull them down!

Hope all of you have today off too!  I’ll be back for my WI tomorrow – make it a great day! 😀

You Might Also Like

• Rhonda
    December 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I think I have some Patak’s tikka masala hiding in my fridge somewhere, thanks for a great recipe to use it up. Enjoy your sunshine!

• Marisa @ Loser for Life
    December 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm

We have been cleaning/organizing/purging like crazy around here! It feels so good to have a “clean start” to the new year!

Hope Tony is recovering well, Biz! Enjoy your day off and Happy NEW YEAR!!!

• Lori
    December 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Indian food is my favorite food!!

Happy New Year Biz!

• tj
    December 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

everything looks delicious!

I love that you didn’t need to unbutton those pants to go to the bathroom.That is a NSV right there! 🙂

• biz319
      December 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Absolutely! 😀

• Heather
    December 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Soup twice in one day? Love it!!
    Haha – I think it’s time to get rid of those pants for sure. 🙂

• Rhere
      August 30, 2013 at 5:09 am

so outright), but beacuse their kids were such good friends with us beacuse the families were so tight overall the individual frictions were kind of overlooked or ignored or something. But on the other hand, I do think they were always fun to be around; and people who are fun to be around can also drive you up a tree. Maybe that’s the test, even.

• link
      October 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

That’s a sharp way of thinking about it.

• Swagat
      October 18, 2013 at 12:31 am

Definitely the breakfasts, alghtuoh a bit pricey. For straight bagels with cream cheese, though, I prefer Magic Bagel below Taipei Main Station. They have an interesting array of bagel flavors and several flavors of cream cheese. I keep wanting to try others, but the maple walnut cream cheese gets me every time.

• Marie@feedingfive
    December 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm

That soup looks delicious! I tend to make a lot of vegetarian soups but I know Glenn would appreciate the beef.

Go ahead and freeze that broccoli bake. I freeze everything! It saves so much time to cook in bulk and then just have it on hand. Muffins, cookies, pancakes, black beans, I freeze it all.

• Veronica
    December 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Love the sound of your tikka masala soup! I’m on a soup kick right now and hope to try it soon. I love that you’ve been including pictures of yourself on your walks–love to see your bright and rosy face!

• biz319
      December 31, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Loved this comment V – thanks! 😀

• Carlos
      August 30, 2013 at 4:32 am

oh i totally know what you mean, i have frndies with whom no time has passed at all even if we see each other every three years. my main point was that if people live close, i feel like i should be hanging out with them regularly, and that’s dumb, especially when they’re the people that you realize you have very little in common with anymore.and yeah, i was like whoa, is it 1952 in here or is it just me?

October 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Now I know who the brainy one is, I’ll keep looking for your posts.

• Maggie
      October 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm

At last! Someone with real exetrpise gives us the answer. Thanks!

• Robin Sue
    December 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Love this soup, sounds really good. Yay! You are a cilantro lover too! I can eat it right off the plant, when I grow it. My brother hates it! The weather you are having is amazing four your neck of the woods. we are up to 50 today and have had a very warm winter so far. I hope it stays that way. Hope Tony is doing well! Have a great weekend Biz.

• Azriez
      October 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I’m always open to ahoetnr couscous recipe.. Thanks.This might just be happening for me, but I thought you’d want to know. The dotted background is behind the wording of the blog making is a bit hard to read. It seems to stop at the comments area.

• Aimee
    December 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Nice run! This weather had been such a welcome gift this time of year.

Wow that soup looks incredible. Some of my favorite flavors. Despite the unseasonably warmer weather it is still cold enough for soup.

Good luck at WW. Good riddance to your size 14s and may they never return!

• Kristen (swanky dietitian)
    December 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That soup looks incredible! I am going to check out that blog asap!
    Looks like such a gorgeous day! Glad you took advantage of it! 🙂

• Enes
      August 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

– If you guys ever get to Atlanta, I’ll show you a few little tips & tkcirs on making Indian dishes like Tikka Masala will amp it up another notch! My mom had a restaurant for over 15 years and now does small cooking classes might need to hook you up with a private mini class as well! ;)April 15, 2011 11:04 pm

• cover insurance auto
      October 17, 2013 at 9:50 am

Deep thought! Thanks for contributing.

• Jersey Girl Cooks
    December 30, 2011 at 10:32 pm

It is really warm here too! Great soup. The best to you in 2012! Happy new year!

• Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds
    December 31, 2011 at 12:44 am

I’ve been craving your Chicken Tikka Masala lately! I know I’d be a huge fan of this soup!

Happy New Year, Biz!!!

• teresa
    December 31, 2011 at 1:31 am

we’ve been getting a lot of sunshine here too, it’s been really nice! i love the geese on the yard, and that soup looks like the perfect thing after a chilly walk!

• Candace
    December 31, 2011 at 2:10 am

What a yummy looking soup! I’ve got to try that. Happy New Year!

• Erica
    December 31, 2011 at 2:15 am

Whoop whoop to the lose pants! Thats just fabulous. The soup sounds amazing. I totally need to check out that blog as I am a soup addict too! Glad you had such a fantastic day overall

• Kerstin - Cake, Batter, and Bowl
    December 31, 2011 at 3:36 am

Tikka masala soup sounds so tasty – what a unique recipe, yum!

• sara
    December 31, 2011 at 4:15 am

Yum, that soup looks incredible!! Definitely have to give it a try. Congrats on getting rid of the size 14 pants!!!! 🙂

• Melissa @TryingtoHeal
    December 31, 2011 at 4:48 am

Ah, such pretty geese!

And your soup for dinner looks great! So does the tikka masala soup;i made snobby joes for dinner tonight and it was so hot for me!

• MelindaRD
    December 31, 2011 at 8:46 am

The tikka masala soup looks great! I would love to try some of that. Can you ship to Japan? LOL! Happy New Year Biz!

• Amy (Savory Moments)
    December 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm

This soup sounds great – very flavorful!

• Shannon
    December 31, 2011 at 4:19 pm

have fun throwing out those clothes that are too big 🙂 more delcious east to finish off the year, wishing you guys a healthy and happy 2012!!

• Rachel @ Mommygetsmoving
    December 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Congrats on the new size! If you can take them off without unbuttoning try the next two sizes down. Good luck and happy shopping!

• Simply Life
    December 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm

mmm…that soup looks SO good!

• Bruno
      August 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

jozjozjoz: thanks for vitniisg! let me know if you ever make it out here!chubbypanda: yup.. check check check. though I found it better to lay them in the water one by one. I think the peel from this brand was just not working right for me- they were tearing in the water, peeling it off the towel and wraptime. oh well- made some decent ones!

• Caron
    January 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Soup looks and sounds amazing. I will definitely try. Happy New Year!

• Christin@purplebirdblog
    January 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

That soup sounds right up my alley! Happy new year, Biz!

• Chobani Blueberry Vanilla Muffins | My Bizzy Kitchen
    April 10, 2013 at 6:21 am

[…] just said “That was fantastic.”  I need to make this more often!  I’ve even made a tikka masala soup with cilantro and shrimp if you want to check that out.  I just love the flavor profile of this dish – so […]