Uncategorized

I win!

Thank you, thank you for all of your wonderful comments yesterday – I think I proved Tony wrong (and while he still will never believe me) that this blogging community is friendship based – thanks to each of you for being my friend!

I did only reply to one comment – my step-son commented!!  You can see some pictures of him here. 😀  He’s been living in Austin, TX since July and we really miss him – glad to know you are still reading the blog too! 😀

I was a cooking fool yesterday morning – I woke up with the idea of making homemade “refried” black beans for breakfast, making chicken tikka masala for my lunch, and cooking up a spaghetti squash!

For the beans I just put 1/2 cup black beans and 1/4 cup of salsa in a pot and burned simmered until warmed (I may have had the heat a bit high, so some stuck to the bottom) and then using a fork, mashed the beans together.

At work I cooked up 1 egg, added 1 ounce of cheese and sprinkled with diced red pepper.  This was so delicious and very filling!  I ate this at 9:00 and I didn’t eat lunch until 1:30!

345 calories, 24 carbs, 20 protein, 16.6 fat and 4.8 fiber

I went to the gym at lunch and ended up doing 45 minutes on the treadmill, 2% incline, tossing the 4 pound medicine ball back and forth.  My arms were really feeling it by the end!  I was watching Paula Deen and she actually took a piece of cheesecake, but chopped chocolate on the top, wrapped it in an egg roll wrapper, deep fried it, tossed it in powdered sugar out of the fryer, then drizzled strawberry and chocolate sauce over the top – I think she went a bit over the top on that one!

So because I worked out for 45 minutes, I have to be a quick change artist to get back to work on time.  Only one little glitch.  My locker wouldn’t open.   No big, I’ll just have them open it with a key.  Well, they couldn’t find the key . . . for 25 minutes!  I was getting madder by the second – I could feel my blood sugar dropping, my glucose tabs were in the locker – when I finally got in the car I called Tony and I was in a shitty mood – he wanted to know why I was upset and I yelled “It took them 25 minutes to find the fucking key!”

So I apologize to Tony, but he knows by know when I am mad its because my blood sugar is low.  And after I ate my lunch, I thought of Skippy and immediately felt horrible for getting upset in the first place.   Here is a woman whose health issues make it so difficult to go up and down the stairs, she has to make a decision of going downstairs in her pajamas and then maybe staying in her pajamas all day, and gets tired after making her daughters lunch.  So thank you Tony for calming me down on the phone, and Skippy for putting the incident in perspective for me.  😀

Now onto chicken tikka masala!!  It’s all about the spices!  You haven’t made this yet??  What are you waiting for?

the flavors just pop in this dish - a hint of cinnamon, the kick of the curry and red chile peppers

Biz’s Tikka Masala (adapted from BlogChef) (makes 6 servings, 3 oz. chicken per person) (printer friendly version here)

326 calories, 4.5 fat, 3.6 carbs, 1.0 fiber and 43 grams of protein

• 1.8 pounds chicken breast

Marinade for Chicken:

• 1 6 oz. container of plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 2 teaspoons of salt

Sauce

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (I removed the membrane)
  • 2 teaspons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sriracha sauce
  • 6 dried chiles
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Mix the marinade together and let sit for an hour.   Heat grill pan (or skewer and grill outdoors) and grill chicken until 3/4 done.   Meanwhile, melt butter and saute garlic and jalapeno.  Add seasonings and stir for 2 minutes until fragrant.  Add in tomato sauce and heavy cream.   Add chicken into sauce and cook an additional 10 minutes.  Serve of rice.

So for my lunch, I made all of the sauce, but just used 5 ounces of chicken breast for my individual lunch – I’ll save the rest of the sauce for next time, although truth be told, the sauce is so good I could eat that by itself. 😀  Lunch comes in at 363 calories, 44 carbs, 27 protein 9.6 fat and 6.3 fiber.

the spaghetti squash was a perfect match - the slight sweetness balanced well with the spicy heat of the sauce

I know I’ve made this dish before, but I am including it in Christina’s Friday Firsts, since its the first time I’ve had it over spaghetti squash.

I had another sugar free vanilla latte in the afternoon – that really helps keep me full until dinner, and all for 105 calories and a serving of dairy 😀

snowman mug of the day 😀

I had an idea for BSI – Bacon – and while I am submitting this, I am going to do better!

Spicy Szechwan Lime Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Sprinkle shrimp with szechwan pepper flakes (or crushed red pepper if you don’t have that) and squeeze 1/2 a lime and let sit for 15 minutes.  Cook bacon until it is half cooked in the microwave.  Wrap each piece in bacon and broil until the bacon is done and the shrimp is cooked through.  No, I don’t see the snowman on my plate! 😀

I grilled up steaks on the side:

I am a total geek about grill marks!

469 calories, .1 carbs, 69 protein, 19 fat and 0 fiber

I dotted each shrimp with a bit of sriracha sauce.  I had left it on the counter – its in a squeeze bottle and Tony said “I found out the hard way that the bottle on the counter isn’t ketchup!”  Luckily he could smell it was hot before he put it on his burger!  I had marked it, but it wore 0ff, so now there would be any confusion:

I think the flames will steer him in another direction 😀

bacon makes everything better

And I wanted to show you how klassy my photo set up is:

yep, I am a complete professional 😀

Hot 100 Update!

I’ve had a great week – I think I have been very creative with the south beach phase I diet.  I’ve gotten a minimum of 45 minutes of exercise every day.  And while I won’t weigh in until Monday, my size 14 pants are getting a bit loose, so that’s something!

Stats for Thursday:

• 1503 calories (including 1/4 cup mixed nuts I ate while watching Glee last night on the DVR – loved that episode!)
  • 91 carbs, 131 protein, 66 fat and 13 fiber
  • 45 minute walk on treadmill with 4 pound medicine ball
  • 20 minute leisurely walk with my dog

Speaking of our dog Ed, he absolutely LOVES toys that make noise.  He loves them, licks them, sleeps with them, and then one day we’ll wake up and walk into the living room and it will be ripped to shreds.

CVS had all of their Halloween stuff on sale, so I bought this dog for $1.  It didn’t last long though!  I’ll leave you this Friday with this video.  Make it a Great Day!

You Might Also Like

• Helen
    November 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Good gracious woman! What time did you get up to do all that cooking before work? I’m duly impressed.

• biz319
      November 12, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I actually get up between 6:30 and 6:45, but I don’t have to leave for work until 8:30 – plenty of time to blog and cook – and my computer is right off the kitchen so I can go back and forth! 😀

• Kelly the Happy Texan
    November 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I’d like to ditto Helen’s comment.

I’m dying over that tikka masala. I might just have to make some soon. Nice grill marks on those steaks!

And congrats on those loose jeans. That has got to make you feel good!

• thehealthyjunky
    November 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Biz, you are seriously like wonder women. How did you have time to prepare all that food before you went to work? I also love how you do so much at work….make breakfast, work out during your lunch break…just amazing! I would be frustrated with the damn key issue as well! Have a good day!

• Amanda
    November 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Biz – your recipes always sound and look so good! I’m going to have to start cooking more often!

• Samantha
    November 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I’m also wondering how you do it all!! I have never tried tikka masala, I guess I should get on it!

• teresa
    November 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm

i have never tried tikka masala either, but i’ve heard so much about it. i need to try it soon. love the little doggy!

• Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
    November 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

The tikka masala looks awesome, especially with the squash! Yum! Love the marks on the grill too, they look GOOD!

• Joan Nova
    November 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment which led me back to you…that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? You do great work here!! I’m adding you to my reader.

I see you’re doing South Beach. Many years ago, I had a lot of success with it. As I recall, it took about 3 weeks but then the difference was quite noticeable though I personally find it hard to be all protein/fat. Wish someone would event that damn magic pill already!!

• biz319
      November 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I know, right??!! 😀

• melindard
    November 12, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Those shrimp look great, minus the bacon, maybe with veggie bacon…hmm…

• Skippymom
    November 12, 2010 at 5:53 pm

The video cracked me up! Thanks for the smile [the ears are hysterical!] I was waiting…waiting….and there is Bizzy’s DOG! yes – I laughed because mine would do the same thing. heehee [and have].

Since you have your snowmen out [YAY! Double YAY!] Does this mean I can pull out all of my snowmen too – Pooldad is making me wait 🙁 until the day after Thanksgiving [because, honestly, he has to do it] but I LOVE my snowmen, especially my dishes. Can’t wait.

Hey – I didn’t know you cussed. giggle – I am kidding. I would’ve been the same way believe me – actually I get that way sometimes too [ask me about dinner last night. wait. no, don’t heehee]. And c’mon – 25 minutes is a little ridiculous.

I have to agree with everyone else – how do you get everything – cooking, etc. done – and still hold down a full time job. You are amazing Bizzy.

I am giving the shrimp recipe to Pooldad and Squirrel. They will gobble that up. I am thinking an appetizer one night. Mmmmmmm.

• biz319
      November 12, 2010 at 8:23 pm

You have my permission to pull out your snowmen!! Although, my husband is the same way – I can’t pull them out until at least the second week of December and by January 1, they all have to be put back – such a sad day! 🙁

• Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad
    November 12, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I meant to comment yesterday but I forgot!! I read the post on the phone. Wanted to say that I DO think you are my friend!! I love my blogging friends.

• Shelley B
    November 12, 2010 at 6:28 pm

That is one cute snowman mug! I like how he’s holding a snowball. 🙂

So frustrating about the locker/key thing. I can only imagine how much worse it seemed with your blood sugar dropping. Glad you had Tony to call – and hey, even if you yelled, that’s what husbands are for sometimes, right?

• Erica
    November 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm

You are the BSI Queen! You always make the most beautiful BSI dishes. And your breakfast looks so yummy….I’m thinking I’m going to have to do brinner again tonight 😉 I like homemaking “refried” beans. That is ridiculous about your gym locker! Glad they finally got you in and that you were able to get your glucose tabs- how scary

• Jenn@slim-shoppin
    November 12, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Loved the video! Great eats Biz!!!

• Karen
    November 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Sounds like you had a very good week:) I’m a Gleek too!

• Tami@nutmegnotebook
    November 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

You are so amazing in the kitchen! I just want to move in with you and let you cook for me! You should open a Bed & Breakfast! I will be the first to book a room!

• Monica
    November 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Hi There! Just saw your comment on my blog and hoped over to your site. Love all your amazing looking food! 🙂

• South Beach Steve
    November 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm

While I am never one to scoff at losing weight, losing inches owns losing weight! 🙂

• Veronica
    November 13, 2010 at 5:04 am

That is sooooooooooo cute! I love your dog!! BTW, I didn’t get a chance to comment yesterday about the friend thing. Tell Tony we really are friends!!! Just because we’ve never met in real life doesn’t mean we can’t be friend. Don’t be ridiculous, Tony!

• biz319
      November 13, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Thanks Veronica! And I got the creme bouquet in the mail yesterday – can’t wait to try it!!

• lynn @ the actor's diet
    November 13, 2010 at 5:58 am

julius is so obsessed with toys, never mind ones that make noise (he freaks out over them). we can’t give him any b/c he destroys them (and has been known to swallow small parts before)

by the way, we’re totally blog buds!

• April@The 21st Century Housewife
    November 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love the idea of serving the chicken tikka masala over spaghetti squash. It makes it really nutritious and a lot lower in calories than serving it with rice, plus it sounds delicious!

• Christina (Dinner at Christina's)
    November 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Corky is the same way w/ toys, esp ones that make noise!