Ever since being diagnosed with diabetes, I’ve steered away from baking, which was something I did a lot of pre-diabetes. When Hannah was little that was one of our favorite things to do on the weekends. I have vivid memories of her standing on a stool, with an apron on, and me standing behind her trying to help her use the hand mixer.
I routinely heard her say “I can do it all by myself!” And she could!
I saw on Meghann’s blog the other day that she made muffins, but made the batter the night before so all she had to do was bake them when she got up. This recipe was so quick to put together, within 30 minutes I had fresh muffins out of the oven.
Blueberry Lime Muffins
- 1.75 cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur – its more expensive but worth it to me)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup baking Splenda (my brand is called Ideal – no calories!)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 six ounce container lime yogurt (I used Fit&Active brand from Aldi)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, tossed in a teaspoon of flour (so they don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin)
- 6 – 1/2 tsp. of Splenda brown sugar (so each muffin got 1/2 tsp. of this before going in the oven)
Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients and combine just until there are no more lumps. Pour in blueberries and mix just until you can’t see the flour on the blueberries. Overstirring (is that even a word?) your batter will make a more dense muffin.
Pour into 6 large muffin tin – bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I love the crust I got on this – one trick – pour about a tablespoon of olive oil on a paper towel and rub the bottom and sides of your muffin tin with the olive oil, it gives a nice crust to muffins!
I almost want to call these “cake” muffins! Love the lime/blueberry combination too – very refreshing!
I decided to bring a hard boiled egg as my protein, with – you guessed it – Tabasco!
Morning break is over – come back for lunch Giant Chopped Salad with Cauliflower Cheese Soup (made from last nights Cauliflower Mac N Cheese!)